How To: French Manicure at Home

I have wondered how to do a french manicure at home. I used to buy those white strips of sticker tape to help with making a straight line. I didn't like them because they didn't make the smile line, where your white part of the nail curves, the curve correct for my fingers. I asked a co-worker about that one day and she showed me how to do that with scotch tape. It was much cheaper and a little easier, once you get the hang of it. I had to practice a few times and finally got it.




Here are a few tips about how to do this process.

1. Get some scotch tape. Yes scotch tape will be what gives you the crisp line and makes your manicure look like someone else did it for you!  I usually get the gift wrap scotch tape to do this.  It is stickier and works nicer.  *Tip:  If it takes off your base coat, then take the tape and tape it to the back of your hand a couple of times so it's not too sticky*




2. Your choice of nail polish colors. You can see a variety of color choices now. Instead of the simple pink and white colors you can also do, nude with black, navy blue with silver and many other choices!  I usually do the traditional french manicure.  I love Essie nail polish, despite how expensive they are...








3. Also a pair of scissors. When you get your piece of tape to use as the boarder to make your manicure, you can cut the piece of tape in half to save tape pieces. You can also cut the tape to make different shapes.




*Tip:  You need to practice in making the "smile line"--where you white part of the nail meets the pink.  You can bend the tape best when it's a smaller piece.  So just practice that part!


I'm so sorry I don't have better photos to show you how to bend the tape. I had taken some photos but am having trouble with my computer so compose the entry. I have to use the HTML tab to enter this entry. Somehow it didn't post I guess it's still in edit mode. But hopefully I'll get some time to re-visit this. But if you have questions about how position the tape, I will be posting new photos in how to do that. Until then, just keep trying to position the tape to your smile line and let me know!

Stay beautiful,

~M.J.

Comments